September 29, 2007

Contentious 2--The Carl Panzram Story

On the day he arrived at Leavenworth, February 1, 1929, Panzram was brought in to see Warden T. B. White. Bound in chains, his bulging muscles apparent even under his prison shirt, Panzram was still an impressive physical specimen. He had a brooding presence; an aura of evil that warned people to stay away from him.

When the warden finished reading him the rules of the institution, Carl looked him squarely in the eye and said, “I’ll kill the first man that bothers me.”

Panzram was considered too psychotic to mix with the general prison population. In a letter to the warden dated March 26, 1929, he asked for a different work detail and wrote: “I want that job because I am doing a long time and I am an old crank and I want to be by myself. I am a cripple and the job I have now I don’t like, standing on my broken ankles bothers me. I am very truly, Carl Panzram #31614”.


Your Ad Here